When I was little, I disliked tomatoes. My mom used to make tomato juice and it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth. They have since grew on me albeit slowly. Afterall, one of my favorite dish is spaghetti with tomato and basil sauce. When cooked with fresh tomatoes and basil, they are light and fresh which is the epitome of Italian cooking.
Tomato soup is a famous comfort food here in the US along with the likes of chicken soup and mac & cheese. The soup is rich with flavor, nutrients, and extremely refreshing. Since roasting the tomatoes brings out the natural sweetness, it adds to our complex flavor of herbs and roasted garlic. This means we have some super flavors mixing in this silky bowl of goodness. Serve with some toast or grilled cheese sandwich and you have yourself a delicious quick lunch.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Quarter tomatoes and onions. Mix them with cayenne, paprika, basil, thyme, basil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and olive oil. Toss to coat.
Pop in the oven to roast for about 20-25 minutes.
On a separate tray, cut the entire bulb of garlic in half length-wise. Drizzle with olive oil and pop in the oven for 30-40 minutes.
Once roasted, we can pop everything to the blender. Note that the roasted garlic can easily be popped out too since they are now soft!
Blend until smooth!
Once the soup reached your desired consistency, it’s done and ready to serve with toast or any other side!
- 2 lbs tomatoes halved or quartered
- 1 sweet onion, quartered
- 1 Tbsp thyme
- 1 Tbsp roughly chopped basil
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ c olive oil
- ¼ tsp cayenne
- ¼ tsp paprika
- pinch salt and pepper
- 1 roasted garlic head
- Pre-heat oven to 400
- Quarter tomatoes and onion and place in a large bowl
- Add thyme, basil, lemon juice, olive oil, cayenne, paprika, salt and fresh ground pepper and toss
- Place all ingredients except roasted garlic onto a baking sheet
- Roast vegetables for 20-30 minutes
- Cut garlic in half length wise and drizzle with olive oil
- Roast garlic for 30-40 minutes
- Once roasted, put all ingredients into a high speed blender
- Blend until smooth
- Finish with black pepper and fresh basil